2nd fermentation issues

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by Claire, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Claire

Claire New Member

Hi there,

Been brewing for a few months and have a question about 2ndary fermentation.

First, about what ratio fruit juice to buch should go in each bottle at the beginning of the 2ndary ferment?

Second, I let my bottles sit about 2 days for secondary ferment and that typically pretty potent since it's so warm where I brew. I then refrigerate them. There is consistently a clear baby scoby forming during the 2ndary ferment in each bottle. Is that normal? It just needs straining, which I do, but it's not pleasant if you take a gulp and end up with a baby scoby in your mouth. Help please!

❤️Claire

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

It's completely normal, Claire. Don't forget that Kombucha is a living thing. You could pour your kombucha into a glass and strain the scoby off but I simply ignore it.

Claire likes this.
  3. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

I almost always get a baby scoby forming in my second ferments -- especially if it's warmer temperatures. As Misschief says, just strain out the SCOBY if it bothers you. Drinking it with the Kombucha won't harm you in any way though.