Bleach eating Scoby?

Discussion in 'Kombucha Brewing' started by WHatIsGoingON?, Nov 5, 2017.

  1. WHatIsGoingON?

    WHatIsGoingON? New Member

    So, I haven't been the greatest scoby owner and relegated the little thing to a cupboard for two years with no food. Last night I was cleaning and took out the jar. Some type of mold was growing on top of this poor thing, so I decided due to the neglect plus the foreign invader that I should put it out of its misery. I emptied the remaining liquid and then poured in a bunch of bleach.

    I came back a few hours later to see the scoby offgassing like crazy as though it had woken from its long slumber and was going to nom-nom-nom town on the poison bath I gave it. It is still offgassing today.

    Would anyone like to try and replicate this? I know Paul Stametz has patented the abilities of some fungi to digest petrochemicals, but bleach?!
     
  2. Misschief

    Misschief Member

    Interesting... a little freaky, too.
     

Share This Page