Earl Grey strictly for flavoring not brewing

Discussion in 'Kombucha Flavor Recipes' started by Debbie Babcock, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:48 PM.

1. Debbie Babcock

Debbie Babcock New Member

does it still have the same antibacterial properties if mixed for flavor after fermentation ? Should I risk it taking away from it's beneficial properties?

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

I did a test batch using EG tea alone for the first fermentation. It was delicious but no longer tasted like EG tea. If it's the EG flavour you're looking for, I would suggest that you find out what gives it the flavour (oil of bergamot or bergamot essential oil) and use that to flavour your second ferment. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to use an essential oil in my kombucha.

BTW, bergamot is a citrus fruit.

3. Debbie Babcock

4. Debbie Babcock

I realize what bergamot is and I don't want to brew with E.G.. My question is, by adding already brewed earl gray tea to the flavoring process either in the second fermentation or after if that would affect the properties of the Kombucha because of the antibacterial properties of earl gray (bergamot oil in it)

5. Misschief

Misschief Member

Ah.... I would think that the only thing that would happen is adding the additional tea would give the kombucha more "food" and it would continue to brew. Therefore, it shouldn't affect the finished product. But... having said that, that's only my opinion and I'm not an expert.