Help!! I started the ferment and now I am going on vacation

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by Justine, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Justine

Justine New Member

Hello,
    I could use some advice on what to do. I started the kombucha process on Friday without realizing that I am leaving in 6 days for a 2 week vacation.

Should I just ferment for 6 days? (most website that 7 days is the minimum)
    Should I keep it out on my counter for 28 days?
    Should I just move it entirely into the fridge now and deal with it when I get back from vacation?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

If it was me, I would just put it into a dark cupboard and call it a scoby hotel. Start a fresh batch when you get back and use the current batch as your starter tea. Keep the remainder for your "hotel".

Have a great vacation!

3. Justine

Justine New Member

Thank you so much for responding. So I should just leave it then? It wouldn’t be tasty to drink in 28 days but the Scoby shouldn’t go bad or moldy?

Is 6 days just not long enough to make proper kombucha? What happens if I do put the scoby + sweet tea into the fridge and just deal with it when I come bacK? sorry for all the questions! I am newbie!

Thanks again for your help!

4. Misschief

Misschief Member

You don't want to put your scoby in the fridge. That will slow down the process but could put your scoby in jeopardy, molding, etc. Six days could be long enough depending on how warm it is in your house but I usually let mine go for a minimum of two weeks and that's in the summer.

28 days is a little on the long side; that's why I would just put it in a cool place (not a refrigerator) and leave it. It will likely be quite sour when you get back but it will be perfect starter tea for your next batch.

5. Justine

Justine New Member

Thank you! I thought you were supposed to remove your scoby and put it into the fridge after the first ferment and not use it again until my next kombucha brew. So I would just put this in my cupboard as is? Do I keep the cheese cloth over it? or would I put the lid on it?
    Thanks again for your help IMG_4404(1).jpg

6. Misschief

Misschief Member

No, scoby and refrigerator do not belong in the same sentence. Do not refrigerate your scoby. Period. Normally, when you remove the scoby to start the second ferment, you will be putting it into your new batch of tea, along with some starter tea, for the next batch of kombucha. Each time you brew kombucha, you will be growing a new scoby. You can place your spare scoby in a scoby hotel so you'll have spares.

7. Justine

Justine New Member

Thank you! I didn’t know that. So this is my scoby hotel now? I don’t put a lid on it? Just keep the cheese cloth covered over my “hotel”.
    Thanks again for your help

8. Misschief

Misschief Member

I put a coffee filter (cheesecloth works, too) and a lid but I don't screw the lid on too tightly. Store it away in a dark, cool cupboard. Once you get back from you vacation, start a new batch, using the liquid in your "hotel" as your starter tea, along with your scoby, and you should be golden. Have a wonderful vacation!