Is it mold?

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by Michelle, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am not sure if my kombucha has mould in it. This is my very first brew and l am worried because l am not sure l have used enough starter.
    I left it for a bit more than 10 days to see if the "mold" will develop and indeed there are more white spots. I have read that this might be a new scoby forming.
    Can someone help me?
    Thanks
    Michelle

Attached Files:

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

It's not the easiest to see but, to me, it looks like bubbles under your scoby. It doesn't look fuzzy at all. I'd give it some time but I think you're ok. Have you tried tasting your brew?

3. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Hi Misschief,
    Thank you for your reply. I still have not tasted it. I am too worried that it might be mold. It has been brewing for 13 days now and I feel really confused, not knowing if I should throw away the whole thing or start drinking it.
    If I taste it, would I be able to tell if it has mould from the taste?

4. Misschief

Misschief Member

Honestly, I don't think it is mold. I think you've got some bubbling and that's it. How does it smell? Like vinegar? That's a good thing.

It looks like your scoby is a bit on the thin side but that could be because, as you wrote, you may not have used enough starter. Apart from that..... keep going.

5. Michelle

Michelle New Member

It does indeed have a very strong vinegar smell!
    Thank you so much! I feel reassured :) l will probably bottle it and taste it this evening.
    Thanks once agaim :))

6. Misschief

Misschief Member

Don't forget to save some as the starter for your next batch.

7. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Yes! Thank you :)

8. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Looks like a normal brew. Those small parts are a bit hard to tell, but as long as they are moist and not powder dry on the surface, they are just newly forming scoby and not mold!