Is this mold on my Jun Tea?

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by hollierene, Apr 30, 2017.

1. hollierene

hollierene New Member

I have been brewing Jun Tea for quite a while now and never had any issues. My last batch had green mold on top of the brew and never really grew a new SCOBY after 7 days. There were tomatoes going bad next to my brew so I figured that was where the mold came from. I threw everything out and started a new batch. This time it's growing this white substance (there is nothing next to my brew this time) IMG_3948.JPG . What is it? It has been hotter than usual. The brew has been ranging from 65-77 degrees. Is it too hot?

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

That white spot on the right looks like something that happened with one of my batches.

https://fermentedordemented.wordpress.com/2016/11/08/whats-going-on/

I did end up removing the forming scoby and let it continue. The resulting kombucha was fine but I was a little concerned for a while because it's not something I'd seen before and I couldn't find any pictures that even came close to what I was seeing. I doubt the weather has much to do with it as mine was brewed in November, when it's already fairly cool here.

If it were me, I'd let it continue for a while, away from any other brews, as an experimental batch. If it develops what is clearly mold, you'll know what to do.

3. Misschief

Misschief Member