Is this mold? or is my scoby broken?

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by yspin, Aug 29, 2017.

1. yspin

yspin New Member

This has been brewing for two weeks, no new scoby. I used 1/2 the recipe i normally use for 1 gallon of brew since this container was 1/2 gallon. Is it mold? Or did something else go wrong?

moldy scoby.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  2. Misschief

Misschief Member

How much starter did you put in? How much sugar?

3. yspin

yspin New Member

1 cup of starter, 1/2 cup sugar

4. Misschief

Misschief Member

That's the same ratio I use. How does it smell? If it smells ok and, if you dare, tastes ok, I think you're all right. There are so many things that can affect your scoby. What kind of tea did you use? What's your weather been like?

5. yspin

yspin New Member

i used tetley black tea and the weather has been mild. I am just trying to figure out what those things on top are. They don't look like mini scobies. I also wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the last time i brewed was three months ago... maybe it's slightly dormant? if it is that, and not mold, should i just keep brewing it until it reactivates? i have ph test strips i could also use to make sure the ph is good.
    Also, this has been at my friend's house and i wonder if, in her excitement, she's moved the jar a few times, breaking up any scoby that was forming on top.

6. Misschief

Misschief Member

Test the ph. Honestly, it doesn't look moldy.

Ah.... my first thought was that it looks like it's been shaken or stirred. That might help explain things. Why not leave it for a while and see what happens. Even if it turns to vinegar, you could use it as starter for subsequent brews.