New Scoby or Mold

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by Kiknme, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Kiknme

Kiknme New Member

wife and I are trying to start brewing some kombucha and we started two batches one definitely had more and we are unsure on this one. After looking around on the site I think it's a new scoby but want a second opinion

Attached Files:

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

I'd be a little concerned about that white spot. The rest of the scoby looks fine but keep an eye on that white spot. If it looks at all fuzzy, I'd say you have mold.

3. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Oh yes, that's mold. Toss the whole bunch -- SCOBY and brew and start again!

4. Kiknme

Kiknme New Member

It's not fuzzy at all, hasn't grown and has changed color?

Attached Files:

5. Ben

Doesn't look like mold, but a newly forming SCOBY, which sometimes comes together in patches and pieces.

Mold is dusty and somewhat furry and only on the very top surface. This doesn't look like it.

Wait 5-10days and you'll probably have a properly formed SCOBY at the top

6. Ishika Sachdev

Ishika Sachdev New Member

Hi, I suspect that my SCOBY’s may be sick with mold, but I am unsure and need your help. Attached are 3 pictures that I took of my SCOBY’s this morning. 2 jars from my previous batch also had this ‘possible mold’, but my mum was convinced that it was not mold. I threw the contents of those jars out, just to be safe. But since the problem is recurring, I figured I’d ask you guys to help me identify. Question is: is this mold or is this the start of a baby SCOBY? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

7. Misschief

Misschief Member

If it was me, I'd give it a day or two to see what happens. If it's fuzzy and powdery looking, I'd say mold. Better to be safe than sorry.

Ishika Sachdev likes this.
  8. Ishika Sachdev

Ishika Sachdev New Member

True.. will keep an eye out. Thank you!

9. Ben

That looks a bit like mold. During new scoby formation it can be a bit hard to tell, but I'd say it might be, based on the look.