Not enough starter liquid..

Discussion in 'Kombucha Brewing' started by Wendyb, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Wendyb

Wendyb New Member

Hi!
    I received a scoby baby from a friend with probably 1/2 a cup of liquid that the scoby is in. I have brewed my sweet tea and now realized this may be an issue with only 1/2 a cup of starter liquid to go in a gallon of tea. Do I need to add vinegar? Would apple cider vinager work??? I'm new to this..
    Thank you!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Sorry for the late reply, I get overwhelmed with questions on the blog, on the facebook page, and now the forum!

Don't use ACV -- not unless you are trying to do some experimentation. ACV has it's own bacterial culture. By using ACV as Kombucha starter, you are introducing another culture. It will work to adjust the pH (which is why you put in starter, to give the SCOBY culture a safe environment for a few days, preventing other cultures from gaining a foot hold until the SCOBY culture gets strong in the new brew) like regular kombucha starter, but the extra culture may impact the flavor.

Use white vinegar in the same ratio as kombucha starter. You can, if you want, use AVC as an experiment, but only do this in experimental brews that you don't put back or mix with your regular SCOBYs

3. Wendyb

Wendyb New Member

Thank you so much for the response. It definitely made for more of a vinager taste. I'm starting over.

4. Lindsay

Lindsay New Member

Hello, I have a similar question.

I just now realized... after 6 days of brewing my kombucha... that I probably did not put enough starter liquid in. The scoby I bought said the starter is enough for 10 cups of Kombucha, and I made a gallon. I did not add any kombucha or vinegar to the mix. Everything seems to be progressing okay, a scoby is forming and no signs of mold, but I'm nervous that there is bacteria in the kombucha. Any help? IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0753.JPG IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0753.JPG IMG_0754.JPG

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Misschief

Misschief Member

From the look of it, I'd say you're ok. If you're absolutely overwhelmed with concern, I'm thinking you could add some plain, ready made kombucha (the real thing).

6. Sanford

Sanford New Member

If it is becoming more and more acidic then its probably over the hump and fine.