Ph too high?

Discussion in 'Kombucha Brewing' started by Haley Grace, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Haley Grace

Haley Grace New Member

Hello all! I just made my first batch of Kombucha. I ordered a starter kit from Amazon. I had to add a little distilled vinegar to my first brew to bring the Ph down to 4.0. I let it sit for 7 days, tested the Ph and it was still around 4.0. I stirred the batch to get a better test from the bottom, which made the scoby fall to the bottom, so I decided to just bottle it and hope a second ferment (dried blueberries added) would lower the Ph- I had read on another site that second ferments will also lower it. I ordered a Ph tester online and it should be here in a few days, I'm just not sure how accurate the Ph test strips are.

My question is- if the Ph is still around 4.0 in a few days- is my batch drinkable?

(Kombucha tasted good, nice yeast threads and scoby looked great)

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

What's your ambient temperature, Haley? I usually let mine brew for 10-14 days and we've been having some pretty warm temps here. I use Ph test strips and it's usually around 3; that said, I usually go by the taste. If the flavour is the way you like it, go ahead and start your second ferment. Then refrigerate it. If it tastes off, it is off.

3. Haley Grace

Haley Grace New Member

I'm actually not sure what my ambient temperature is here. In a high rise in Chicago and no thermostat to tell. I keep it comfortable- so I'd guess 75?
    It tasted great, a little more sweet than vinegary. I think from what I've been reading is- if it tastes or smells off don't drink it. Otherwise it's probably ok. So I guess it's probably ok!
    I just wasn't sure if the Ph being a little high would create a dangerous situation.
    Thanks for the reply!

4. Misschief

Misschief Member

I'd probably wait a little longer to bottle it, in that case. Nothing wrong with leaving it for 10-14 days. Experiment. :)