Rookie error... 3 Scobys

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by Melanie McLeod, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Melanie McLeod

Melanie McLeod New Member

IMG_4522.JPG Hi Boocha gurus. I have only just started this fermentation challenge & made a rookie error. After bottling from my first batch i left my original scoby & newly formed scoby in the pot. I am now into my 3rd day of a new batch & another scoby is forming on top with 2 scobys on the bottom, 3 in total.
    Can somebody suggest what i should do?
    1. Leave all alone until next bottling.
    2. Remove 1st scoby into a new home taking liquid with it.
    Please help!!

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

Leave them alone for now. No biggie, really. Next batch, start a scoby hotel.

Melanie McLeod likes this.
  3. Melanie McLeod

Does that mean-putting all scobys together in a seperate jar? Sorry, very new!

4. Misschief

Misschief Member

Sort of. When you go to make your next batch, grab another jar and make a double batch of tea. Use batch, with starter, for your new batch of kombucha and use the remainder of the tea, with starter, to start your hotel. Once the tea has cooled, put your extra scobies into the hotel jar, close it up and put it in a dark cupboard.
    Here are step by step instructions:
    http://kombuchahome.com/how-to-create-a-kombucha-scoby-hotel-to-store-extra-scobys/

Melanie McLeod likes this.
  5. Melanie McLeod

Thank you so much... can i please confirm the hotel requires a secure lid not one that is breathable?
    Cheers

6. Misschief

Misschief Member

I use a pickle jar with a coffee filter and the lid that came with the jar... on loosely. And I check once a month or so to make sure there's enough liquid.