SCOBYs Stuck in 2nd Fermentation Jars

Discussion in 'Kombucha Brewing' started by Komi, May 5, 2017.

1. Komi

Komi New Member

I neglected my 2nd fermentation jars for a couple months since I couldn't decide what flavorings to add. Meanwhile, new scobys formed and now I can't get them out of the 1 1/2" diameter opening. One jar has four 1/16+" thin scobys, the other jar has two 3/8" scobys. Suggestions?

Background (Please don't laugh.) By the time I used the scoby that a friend gave me from overseas it was dehydrated, gasping for air and ugly beyond. I made a great batch of Kombucha with it. I then saw the dreaded "mold" on my priceless scoby so I removed about half of it to a quarantine dish. Now my deformed scoby was crying tears, but I know no one else who has even heard of Kombucha so I had to use it again. I later learned that the mold I removed was the beautiful, fair skinned baby. I then returned the baby to its Mommy, fermented a second batch, transferred the liquid to the 2nd fermentation jars...and the rest of the story you read in the first paragraph.

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

A crochet hook?? (but not a metal one) A wooded skewer?

Not laughing here... just snickering a little ;) It's live and learn, isn't it?

3. Komi

Komi New Member

FYI for future if anyone is in the same boat. Don't fret! The SCOBYs just folded in half on their own when I poured out the liquid with them in it and just squeezed through the narrow bottle opening!!! One thick SCOBY was stuck to the bottom of the jar, but with my new found confidence I just tapped the bottle bottom and it folded itself into a more condensed taquita/enchalada/blintz shape as it tumbled out of the upside down bottle. It plunged right into its new SCOBY hotel home. All OK. End of story.

4. Misschief

Misschief Member

Excellent!! I love it when things go better than expected.

5. Komi

Komi New Member

Thank you for all your support and encouragement.

Misschief likes this.