Secondary fermenting inconsistency between bottles

Discussion in 'Kombucha Troubleshooting' started by Adrian, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Hi All,
    So I have been brewing Kombucha for about a year now...I brew 3 gallons at a time.
    I do my 2nd ferment in 16 oz flip top bottles and old kombucha bottles. I usually use 3 oz of juice/ 16 oz bottle with my second ferment. I seen to not get constant carbonation from bottle to bottle. I use 1 plastic 16 oz bottle as a reference, waiting until it is hard to move the bottles to the fridge (2- 5 days or so) As far as I can tell the bottles are all sealed tight. I will always get a few bottles with no carbonation, and some with a lot of carbonation. Do you stir the kombucha before transferring it the bottled for the 2nd ferment?

Also I find that if I use fresh juiced ginger for my 2nd ferment it seems to stop fermentation and no carbonation forms...any one have similar experiences?

2. Misschief

Misschief Member

"Do you stir the kombucha before transferring it the bottled for the 2nd ferment? "

Yes. It could be that there's a variation in the amount of yeast in each bottle. Stirring will help even it out. I've not used juiced ginger (or any ginger for that matter) so I can't speak to that.