WK - Waking Up After Hibernation

Discussion in 'Kefir Brewing' started by Misschief, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Misschief

Misschief Member

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who's put their water kefir grains into hibernation for any reason. I've been using well water for my wk grains and they love it. However, the landlord turns off the pump when winter arrives so I had no more well water. I decided to put the grains into hibernation until the well was back up and running in the spring.

However, my husband has discovered water kefir and has pretty much finished everything I'd made and is asking for more. I bought some PH+ water from my local water store and have been reviving some of the grains. I used 1/4 cup of grains, 1/4 of sugar (1/2 turbinado, 1/2 coconut sugar), let them brew for about 36 hours, removed the grains and made another batch with 2/3 turbinado, 1/3 coconut sugar. I did that twice. I let those batches go for almost 48 hours, with some time spent in the oven with the light on (our temps right now are hovering around freezing and we keep our house cool... no heat at night). Then, yesterday, when I tested it, it was amazing. I used pure, freshly pressed apple juice for my wk and it's already starting to get fizzy after less than 24 hours.

The grains went from 68 grams for 1/4 cup to 83 grams overnight! I've got some gooooooood grains!