How to Package Up a Kombucha SCOBY for Shipping
Need to ship a SCOBY? This is how you do it.
Are you looking to ship a SCOBY? SCOBYs have a habit of multiplying rapidly – so at some stage any kombucha brewer is going to arrive at the point where they have way too many SCOBYs on there hands.
You can either choose to organize yourself to sell your SCOBYs, or gift them randomly to anybody who is in need. Or you can make doggy treats. Just saying!
Sending a SCOBY to a Friend In the Post
If you are not intending to make a business out of shipping SCOBYs, and merely want send one to a friend – then here is a quick and easy method.
What You Need
- 3 Ziplock bags (the kind with the plastic zipper)
- 1 cup strong starter liquid / strong kombucha
- Medium sized piece of bubble wrap
What to Do
Place your SCOBY along with the one cup of mature starter liquid into one of the ziplock bags. Seal it. Do the same with the other two. The SCOBY will now be triple sealed. Then wrap the whole lot in bubble wrap. Box up and post!
Posting Marketed SCOBYs
If however you want to get into selling SCOBYs, then you might want to ramp up your packaging game. Ziplock bags can do the job, but might not look as professional as other packaging methods. Most SCOBY outlets package their SCOBYs in thick plastic pockets which are sealed with a heat sealing machine.
Heat sealing machines are easy to operate, and are not expensive. They are definately a great thing to look into if you are thinking of selling your SCOBYs online and might be doing a lot of posting.
What to Look for In a Heat Sealing Machine
When selecting a heat sealing machine, make sure of the following.
- That it is decent quality.
- That it will seal the size bags which you are going to use for your SCOBYs and starter liquid. You will need to use bags which are slightly larger than the diameter of your SCOBYs
What to Look For in Plastic Pockets/Bags for the Heat Sealing Machine
When selecting which brand and type of plastic pockets to use, make sure that they fit the following criteria.
- They must be durable. Because of the starter liquid, it is very important that the bags are on the heavy duty side and made out of the thickish plastic.
- Food grade. Kombucha and starter liquid are both acidic. If in contact with plastic for any length of time, the acids can cause elements in the plastic to leach into the kombucha. So make sure that the bags you want to use for packaging with the heat sealing machine are food grade.
- Suitable size. Check the circumferences of your SCOBY before you go out and buy bags. Then get a bag size which is slightly larger than the SCOBY.
Tips for Posting SCOBYs
Once you are set up, posting SCOBYs is not as complicated as you might think. With a heat sealing machine and some pockets, or even some good quality plastic ziplocks, you can easily send off SCOBYs by the dozens. Here are some tips for packaging up your SCOBY so that it will arrive in the best condition.
Package and post – no delay
It is best to package your SCOBY directly before you want to send it. If you package the SCOBY(s) in advance and they remain in the sealed packet too long they will lose vitality. SCOBYs need oxygen to carry out fermentation, and if deprived of it for too long will go into a dormant mode.
Include strong starter liquid
Make sure that the starter liquid you provide with the SCOBY is nice and strong. If the starter liquid is made up of kombucha which is immature, then it will not be acidic enough to drop the ph of the first batch of kombucha which is made. This means that the person who is receiving the SCOBY could develop mold in their initial brew of kombucha. Not fun!
Package and post fresh SCOBYs
If you are looking to provide the receiver of the SCOBY with a good quality culture, then it is best to provide them with a young culture. Young cultures are usually quite firm to the touch and not too discoloured by tea and yeasts. Younger cultures will have more vitality in them, and contain less dead matter.
If you need to post a SCOBY or SCOBYs, as you can see it is not that complicated! With a little bit of time to set up and get the right packaging materials – whether that be ziplock bags or heat sealed packs – you can be on your way to SCOBY posting in no time.
Select and pack you SCOBYs with care promptly before shipping, and you will be delivering a quality product or gift!