- 1 cup of milk kefir
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
- ½ teaspoon of honeyraw or organic
Flavor is important, in your meals and in your drinks. If you have been experimenting with milk kefir, you know that this drink is good for you but did you know that there are so many ways to flavor it so that it tastes good to you? You don’t want to be stuck with the same taste day in and day out; your taste buds need a change and if you don’t offer yourself a variety of taste, you may find yourself slipping back to what you know tastes good whether it is fruit juice or your favorite soda pop. One flavor that tastes great in milk kefir is the simple taste of almond. It’s not too strong and it packs a satisfying punch to your taste buds while it offers your body some extra vitamins and nutrients that you may be lacking in.
If you are not familiar with kefir, you may not be reaping the benefits it has to offer. Kefir is a cultured product that has a tarty taste. It’s packed full of nutrients including antibacterial properties, probiotics, and can even be a healthy alternative for those who are lactose intolerant.
If you haven’t made milk kefir before, you will first need to find your kefir grains from a reputable company or individual. Once you have the grains, you can reuse them to make milk kefir on a daily basis if you prefer.
When making milk kefir, you will need four cups of fresh whole milk. After adding the milk kefir grains to the fresh milk, you will then cover the mouth of the jar with a coffee filter and secure it with a rubber band. A coffee filter allows the air to circulate while keeping pesky insects out. Insects are attracted to the sweet or sour smell given off of the milk kefir. The jar will need to be placed in a warm spot, normally in the kitchen, where it will stay while it cultures. The temperature should run between 68 degrees and 85 degrees throughout this process. Within 24 hours, you will notice the texture of the milk is now slightly thicker than when it went in. The aroma is similar to that of yogurt. When it has reached the right consistency and taste, you will need to pour the milk into another clean jar using a strainer to catch the kefir grains as it leaves the jar. Place these kefir grains into another glass jar with four cups of fresh milk and start the process over.
You can also find a more detailed recipe here.
The taste of almond is found in many things. Almonds, like other nuts, is full of delicious flavor that is not very strong and yet is very healthy. Almonds provide benefits such as,
- Aiding the nourishment of the nervous system
- Provide riboflavin and L-Carnitine which helps with the functions of the brain
- Provides the body with healthy fats that can be used to promote natural weight loss
- Aid in the building of stronger bones and teeth due to the levels of phosphorus found
- Help to lower bad cholesterol
- Due to the flavonoids found in almond skins can work with vitamin E to protect the artery walls from damage caused with age
- Provide alkaline in the body due to the alkaline forming abilities. Alkaline can help with weight gain, improve energy, and reduce the chances of developing osteoporosis.
- Consuming nuts five times per week can decrease the chances of a heart attack
Measure the milk
Add the Almond Extract
Add the honey