- 1/2 teaspoon of Cocoa powder
- 1 cup of milk kefir
Oh, the taste of chocolate; its loved and craved by so many. When you have a caving for chocolate, you can’t help but indulge yourself in the sweet taste. While milk kefir taste great the way it is, you can create different tastes to change it up so you won’t get tired of it. Cocoa flavored milk kefir is a great recipe to try the next time you make milk kefir and it’s also good for you. Now you can enjoy the taste of chocolate and not feel so guilty about it.
It’s easy to get your digestive system off track from time to time. When that happens, it seems to take longer to get back on track and feeling normal again. In fact, it can be difficult to function in your normal daily routine if it’s off the slightest bit. You can now balance your digestive system and provide yourself with a healthy alternative to soda pop and imitation juice drinks by learning to make milk kefir. This drink is filled with nutrients your body can use from the antibacterial properties to the probiotics to balance your digestive system. If you are not sure if you will be able to drink milk kefir, give it a try with the recipe below. Add flavoring to it in order to offer your taste buds a treat from time to time.
For this recipe, you will need to use cocoa powder. Did you know how Cocoa powder come about? It starts with a cacao beans which are picked and then fermented. Once they are completely fermented, they are then dried and roasted before they are ground up into a paste. Then Cocoa butter is then removed leaving behind a very dry Cocoa powder. In order to make the delicious chocolate goodies we treat ourselves with from time to time, the Cocoa powder is combined with the Cocoa butter and a few sweeteners are added to create a delicious bar of chocolate.
Cocoa powder has a few advantages to consuming it. For example, it is actually low in calories however, this can quickly change if you consume a large amount of it. Cocoa powder is also high in fiber which can assist the digestive system in staying regular. Minerals such as iron, zinc, manganese, and magnesium are found in this delicious powder so if you have a deficiency, then consuming some chocolate isn’t going to hurt. Cocoa powder also features two plant based flavonoids; Epicatechin and catechin Both of these flavonoids contain important antioxidants and in addition to that, the epicatechin can also aid in relaxing the muscles in the blood vessels which can contribute to lower blood pressure.
Cocoa powder can also work as an antidepressant due to the neurotransmitter phenothiazine found in this powder. This ingredient actually works to lift your mood, making it a natural antidepressant. Last but not least, Cocoa has caffeine naturally in it and a little caffeine can pick you up when you feel like you are exhausted but still need to go or if you have a headache. You don’t want to consume an entire block of chocolate but it is okay to indulge a little.
Making Milk Kefir
The process of making milk kefir is fairly simple and doesn’t require a lot of time; you can put it together in about five minutes and leave it alone to do its thing. Here’s what you need to do:
- Place the kefir grains into a glass containing four cups of whole milk or goat milk
- Place a coffee filter over the opening of the jar to cover it. Then secure it with a rubber band. This covering will keep insects out of the jar while your milk kefir cultures.
- Place the jar into a dark corner of your kitchen. Because the culture needs a consistent temperature that ranges between 68 degrees and 85 degrees, the kitchen is the most chosen location. It will need to stay here for around twenty-four hours.
- After the twenty-four hours are up, check the culture for thickness and give it a little taste. The taste should be slightly tart, somewhat like the taste of yogurt.
- Once the milk kefir is done, grab another clean glass jar and place a strainer over top. Pour the milk kefir out and into the new jar through the strainer. The strainer will catch all the milk kefir grains, separating it from the finalized drink.
- Place the milk kefir grains inside of a glass jar with a new batch of milk ( 4 cups) and start the process over again for your next batch. Meanwhile, enjoy the bath you just finished.
- To sweeten your milk kefir with chocolate flavor, continue with this recipe below.
Pour the milk kefir
Add Cocoa Powder
Stir the mixture completely until all Cocoa powder is dissolved.
If you don't taste enough Cocoa powder, add ¼ teaspoon to the mixture and stir to dissolve. You can add up to ½ teaspoon more into your cup of milk. If you add more than that, you may get a bitter tasting drink instead.
Enjoy or refrigerate